29 April 2011

Public Notice...Artists' Yard Sale

Although completely unrelated, you must click on the photo below and read and enjoy!
 Riverby Books is a fantastic used bookstore here in the 'Burg and Paul Cymrot writes the best things I get to read. His 'whiteboard' comments are legendary.  
Tomorrow morning at least a dozen LibertyTown artists will be selling everything from art and art supplies to random household items.
I will have a big bunch of pots for sale covering most if not all of the leftovers from the past 9 firings.

For many years I fired my work in a gas reduction kiln and that kiln produced so few 'seconds' that I stopped selling them...I'd either give them away if they weren't too bad or chuck 'em out. I suppose that it is the snob in me that enjoyed being able to declaim my unwillingness to sell any pot that less than a 'first'. And it has always bugged me when folks would come to the shop and ask immediately for the 'seconds'. I know it's more of my snobbery, but I can't help myself.
That brings me to tomorrow...the wood kiln often produces pots more beautiful than I imagine, but there are some that just seem to lack that certain je ne sais quoi and others that have various flaws. I'm doing a clear-out just before firing #10 and eating a little crow because, the truth is, I do sell 'seconds'....once in while...and reluctantly. Maybe I'll wear sunglasses and go in disguise...

Aline has great plants for sale!

3 comments:

John Bauman said...

Love the notice.

Good luck with the sale. There are few things that depress me more than going through my seconds (as I do every year before my seconds sale)

Anna M. Branner said...

Wish I was there. (Greg just apologized AGAIN that I'm not at LibertyTown everyday....) But, my kiln is firing as we speak so there are definitely good things. :) Good luck tomorrow!

cookingwithgas said...

I need a job! Think they would hire me?
No Latin but I am pig headed and quick with the wit, at times.
I can bake too- see I have skills!
I hope your- certain "je ne sais quoi" sale goes well... or went well- what day is this?