01 October 2008

For John Tilton

It really makes me happy to know that a great potter like John Tilton is taking a look at my musings. He asked for some photos of my pottery, so here's my chance to tell you a little about my little piece of paradise.
I am commuting to my studio for the first time in 30 years; an 11 mile drive that leads me out Tidewater Trail to Claremont Farm. A one mile, nearly impassable, dirt road off the highway assures that this is a very quiet spot. I built these buildings with my great friend Michael Littlefield over the course of several years and I still feel like I'm settling in and figuring out where everything belongs.
The kiln shed came first and after a protracted dispute with the county I built the new studio last fall. I have no water or electricity, so it is a rather primitive site. I collect rain water and I have a very small solar panel collecting system to provide light. I wish I could go back to a kick wheel, but this old dog isn't interested in that new (old) trick. So I run my wheel on a generator (a very quiet one) with the hope of one day installing enough solar to be entirely 'off the grid'.
My kiln is fired with wood...a 'bourrey-box' type firebox for those of you who aren't potters. I'm making pots for a couple of more weeks before loading up for firing #5.
It's fun watching all my other fellow bloggers as we all seem to working towards a firing!
Thanks for watching, John!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dig it!

klineola said...

I love the arch braces. Did you find that steel or did you roll it? I want to come up and fire sometime. Keep me posted. Thanks for the pictures.

Dan Finnegan said...

Michael, the arches are two pieces of angle iron spot welded together and then hammered and rolled into shape. Thanks for noticing...that's one of those details I'm really pleased with. Pretty to look at and keeps all the brick in the arch from expanding too much.I'd love to get you up here one day. Maybe you could come teach a workshop next year?

klineola said...

Sign me up to do a workshop. I'm going to be teaching more next year, it's time.

John Tilton said...

Hi Dan,

This is so great. What an incredible place. Do you plan to live here too eventually?

The kiln is beautiful. So is Ellie Bird.

John

Cambria Pottery said...

Dear Dan,
Having read in your blog post that.......I have no water or electricity, so it is a rather primitive site.....So I run my wheel on a generator (a very quiet one) with the hope of one day installing enough solar to be entirely 'off the grid'..... I too am off the grid and want to stay that way. What kind of wheel are you using and what generator did you find that runs quietly??? Would love to know.
regards,
Joan